Background Image | Imagen al fondo

(Background Image | Imagen al fondo)

"Pedro Lasch in his map and article "Latino/a America" envisions the Americas without any boundaries. He discusses how a map can show traces of immigrants travels. His work explores how globalization enforces boundaries to loosen the flow of capital while preventing movement of people."

"Pedro Lasch en su mapa y artículo, 'Latino/a America,' considera las Américas sin fronteras. Él discute cómo un mapa puede mostrar rastros de los viajes de inmigrantes. Su obra explora como globalización impone limites para aflojar el flujo de capital mientras se prohibe el movimiento de las personas."

Text from "Mapping Very Large Complicated Machines"
by Ted English for the online broadside Molossus– August 4, 2009.

Cita de "Mapear Maquinas Grandotes y Complicadas" por Ted English para el volante online Molossus– el 4 de Agosto, 2009

other portals

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Friends in South America: 7/15/08

My life became busy. The end of the semester, obtaining the visas to travel, and having visitors!  Above here you are going to see 2 people that have invested much time and spirit into me. Their travel plans landed them in Buenos Aires for one day together. Kate (My Sister) and Dan Urban (Teacher and Friend). We took the proverbial picture at Cafe Tortoni. A bone old Cafe in Buenos Aires. Tango history and what you have its. I had no expectations of anybody and their visits, except for immediate family. The unexpecting Urb, the world traveler.


Today I am in Brazil.  I plan on learning Portuguese next, maybe teaching English and/or Spanish in Brazil while learning Portuguese?  I will have to talk that over with my brain to see if he can handle it.  I worked and met some wonderful friends  at a YMCA camp in Trinity, TX 2 years ago.  Now I am guest and they are host. Tica, Felipe, Christina and I are chewing on sugar cane, not currently but in the picture. I need to start planting that stuff in my back yard when I get back to the states.  It would be a great substitute for chewing tobacco, Kate.
 I notice how friendships and relationships evolve, change, morph, whether physically or spiritually. I am sure distance evolves a friendship in a particular way, but I have yet to have a consistent friend travel and be with me constantly. The closest friend that has been there all the time is Kate and my family. I think I may focus and be overly aware, leaving me unaware of the present. However, I showed these special friends hospitality 2 years ago. Now their families have been equally hospitable. I have a blessing.  It is nice to have this after 5 months of weird, awkward, and unplanned routine in Buenos Aires.  I remember God and am thankful fort these people in my life.  I believe goodness and sweetness has been in our relationships from 2 years ago and still today, which is very comforting and sobering.

The food is exceptional. They refuse to stop feeding me.  I had the privilege to devour the ultimate game day food, Feijão Tropeiro. Maybe one day I could knock out 3 at a Razorback game.  

No comments:

Post a Comment