Background Image | Imagen al fondo

(Background Image | Imagen al fondo)

"Pedro Lasch in his map and article "Latino/a America" envisions the Americas without any boundaries. He discusses how a map can show traces of immigrants travels. His work explores how globalization enforces boundaries to loosen the flow of capital while preventing movement of people."

"Pedro Lasch en su mapa y artículo, 'Latino/a America,' considera las Américas sin fronteras. Él discute cómo un mapa puede mostrar rastros de los viajes de inmigrantes. Su obra explora como globalización impone limites para aflojar el flujo de capital mientras se prohibe el movimiento de las personas."

Text from "Mapping Very Large Complicated Machines"
by Ted English for the online broadside Molossus– August 4, 2009.

Cita de "Mapear Maquinas Grandotes y Complicadas" por Ted English para el volante online Molossus– el 4 de Agosto, 2009

other portals

Monday, April 26, 2010

65 days 4/26/10

I'm not one for countdowns. I never have been. The reason why is that times and dates aren't at the top of my priority list. My doubt of the existence of time is innate.

After dabbling in the profession of education, being a teacher has brought an extreme shift in this belief. I now own a watch that I wear. This timepiece tells me the date too! I am constantly nudged to belief of time.

At the beginning of the term our bell system was working accordingly.  Ingeniously, I set my second hand to exactly when the bells were scheduled to ring. This enabled me to know know exactly when the bells would sound. Needless to say, the kids were AMAZED, or mildly amused. Now, novelty has shifted to annoyance. This annoyance has bred from my ability to commence ordering them to line up when they are supposed to. The annoyance is much more evident when the bell is declaring the termination of recess.

Apart from this school anecdote, life in Doha has defined its normalcy.  My adjustment to a different culture takes time, I suppose for most people it does and even varies. It was definitely difficult adjusting to life here. Although I have grown to thoroughly enjoy my life here. The enjoyment is mostly found outside of the walls of the school. Save the kids and some staff, I find it hard to get motivated for the school day.

Physical Education is not the meaning of life, but I have had to learn how to make it educational while maintaining the fun aspect for the kids. This is much more challenging than I had previously believed. The allotted time they have outside the classroom is very precious to them. They are a tough crowd to keep entertained inside my class periods. It has been much harder with the older groups, the 5th and 6th graders.

This life in Doha (I am now almost in my 9th month here) has become very enjoyable mainly due to a church and new spiritual adventures. Doha Fellowship, the church, has provided me the opportunity to dust off a few areas of my life that were collecting dust in the attic for quite sometime. Being involved in a local church has been so important no matter how dysfunctional or problematic it may seem at times. I suppose it is a reflection of me anyhow. Fortunately, this church has been a great haven for so many here in Doha. I thank God daily for the space it creates for the ex-pat community here; for some of them at least.

I have been playing in the worship band (including drums!). Going to Tuesday night prayer meetings, my favorite days of the week now, and helping with the youth. This week I will be sharing "my story" with the youth and speaking to them. I look forward to see how God  kindles my soul to share with the unique group of youngsters.

I am not counting down. I am counting up. The simple act of counting numbers. Time. Days.  I get to head down under to see my sister, to Argentina to visit mi Buenos Aires querido, and then back to the states to see Family and friends. God is faithful. Time does not exist.






1 comment:

  1. 3 John 1:3-4 (NASB)
    3 For I was very glad when brethren came and testified to your truth, that is, how you are walking in truth.
    4 I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete