Background Image | Imagen al fondo

(Background Image | Imagen al fondo)

other portals

Thursday, September 8, 2016

Review: Theories of Translation: An Anthology of Essays from Dryden to Derrida

Theories of Translation: An Anthology of Essays from Dryden to Derrida Theories of Translation: An Anthology of Essays from Dryden to Derrida by Rainer Schulte
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a rich and powerful reference for those interested in language, translation and their evolution. Unfortunately, I lost this book on my travels and did not get to read all of the entries. I made it to Octavio Paz's essay which resonated with me deeply.

"When we learn to speak, we are learning to translate; the child who ask's his mother the meaning of a word is really asking her to translate the unfamiliar term into the simple words he already knows. In this sense, translation within the same language is not essentially different from translation between two tongues, and the histories of all peoples parallel the child's experience."

Octavio Paz (tr. Irene del Corral)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment